"Museum of Ancient Art and Lucwig Collection" Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Things to Do Tip by german_eagle

Basel Things to Do: 203 reviews and 337 photos

This is the only Swiss museum devoted to the art and culture of the Mediterranean area. The permanent collections date mainly from the Greek, Italic, Etruscan, Roman and recently the Egyptian cultures thus covering a period from the 4th millenium BC to the 6th century AD.

When I visited they hosted the famous temporary exhibit on King Tut - the only station in Europe. What a surprise that there were not crowds at all! So, although quite tired, I gave myself a kick and went in. My museum pass gave me a reduction – 14 SFr. instead of 28 SFr. full price. The exhibit was very interesting, but I guess I was too tired to enjoy it. Besides, there were at least five guided tours at the same time inside – noisy and confusing. I think only about a third of the pieces were from King Tut, the others from different periods and graves – but still beautiful. Looking back I must say that I regret I did not spend more time there and have a closer look at the pieces. It was definitely worth a visit.

Address: St. Albangraben 5