"The Museum of the Mountain Man" United States of America Off The Beaten Path Tip by PA2AKgirl

Now, I would have thought this would have been about mountain men...was I wrong to assume this? I mean, the name, does it not say...

BUT, it's a good museum anyway. Mostly, it's a museum about 2 things: 1) westward expansion and 2) local county history. They do have some good exhibits given it's in a TINY town (Pinedale, Wyoming) and the people are very nice. The one woman who works here is from Pennsylvania, so we talked about that too. However, she made it seem that if we continued onto the Grand Tetons that day, we were going to die a terrible death from the snow and ice. She just wanted us to hang out at the museum all day. Seriously, though...it's a decent museum. They also have a 28 minute video, perhaps that has something to do with mountain men...that was a little too long for us since we were now terrified about the conditions north of Jackson.

After leaving, I got pulled over for going like 34 in a 30. The guy asked me why I was driving so fast and i told him it was because I had just been to the museum and I was so excited about everything I had seen, I wasn't paying attention. I also had some BS excuse about not knowing what road I was on. He asked us what we were doing "in his neck of the woods" and where we were headed. When Jeanette said "Alaska" he just ran my license and told us to have a great trip.

The museum is located off of 191, 75 miles south of Jackson Hole.

Phone: 877-686-6266
Website: http://www.pinedaleonline.com/mmmuseum

• Updated Jun 2, 2004

More Off The Beaten Path in United States of America (1)

Comments

PA2AKgirl Used To Live Here!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Have you been to United States of America?