"Higher Castle -more history than beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Gediminas castle Tip by matcrazy1
Gediminas castle, Vilnius: 65 reviews and 122 photos
There were remains of gothic palace-residence (Palace of Rulers) of the Higher Castle in the eastern part of the Gediminas Hill. They were partly reconstructed recently but their interiors were closed for visitors in May 2004. Maybe someday...
I could simply say that on this place I saw more history than beauty. This place was silent witness of the oldest events in Vilnius history and was first mentioned in 1323. Well, this buiding on my picture was built first in 15th century (previous one was wooden), destroyed in 16th c., rebuilt in 17th c. and partly renovated recently.
Address: Arsenalo gatve 5, Vilnius
Directions: On the top of the Gediminas Hill. It was difficult to get there by funicular: read my Warnings Or Dangers tip "No direction signs to funicular!!!" here.
More Things to Do in Vilnius (127)
More Reviews (261)
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All More info?
- See All Four must see activities!
- See All On the top but not my recommendation
- See All Wait, wait and again wait
- See All Poor choice, high prices
- See All Lithuanian wooden statues-chapels
- See All Trolleybuses - save them, please!
- See All Nude bathing?
- See All Polish visitors and no vacancy!
- See All General information
- Concerts, discos, live music...
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels