"Reconstruction of national monuments" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1

Vilnius Local Customs: 135 reviews and 161 photos

by matcrazy1

Excuse, it's not only Vilnius local custom but rather my observation from all capitals of post-Soviet countries I was lucky to visit recently (Riga, Tallin).

It seems that
Lithuanian government (= in real tax payers) put a lot of money to rebuild and/or renovate neglected and not renovated for years (for political reasons, I suppose) national monuments and symbols of the Lithuanian state. No wonder, they were suffering a lot during foreign (sorry, Polish as well) occupation and they were waiting for independence so looong time.

Look at my picture taken from the top of the Gediminas Tower in may 2004. It was the construction at the backside of the cathedral that was on the area of former Lower Castle. In the old past there was the palace of grand dukes of Lithuania on that place.

What were they building there ? New palace or... a hotel ? I am not sure, hopefully the palace with next great expositions for visitors inside. As I know they are going to finish all reconstruction works of the Lower Castle by... 2009 unless they discover next great archeological findings there. We will see. Good luck :-).

• Updated May 31, 2004

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Vilnius?