"Very friendly atmosphere" Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1

Vilnius Local Customs: 135 reviews and 161 photos

by matcrazy1

I found Vilnius a city of very friendly locals and visitors. Well, I was very relaxed, smiling, happy visitor and I was lucky to catch a lot of warm, spring sun in May when I was there.

I easy got to know a few locals including two local beggars (no worries, they were clean and friendly) and a few visitors from Poland, Germany, the USA and... China. They all wanted to speak with us as much as we wanted with them :-).

I think that locals, both older and younger folks, were very interested in different and maybe somewhat new for them (after long isolation under Soviet occupation) strangers. Well, Poles (citizens of Poland) were not at all strangers as quite many locals could speak Polish language there. A lot of esp. medium and older folks could speak Russian as well.
A very sympathetic couple of young Lithuanians (speaking Polish) wanted to speak with us in a restaurant many hours but... we had to leave :-(. Sorry, friends...

There were not many foreign visitors in Vilnius in May. But anyway, I could hear quite often Polish and Russian and a few times English and German language on streets of the old town. Add one woman from... China.

• Updated May 31, 2004

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Vilnius?