"Castle in 17th century" Top 5 Page for this destination Gediminas castle Tip by matcrazy1
Gediminas castle, Vilnius: 65 reviews and 122 photos
There was large, three-dimensional reconstruction model of the lower and higher castle in the first half of the 17th century on the 2nd floor of the Gediminas Tower. The model was of great educational value and the information was put in two languages: Lithuanian and English :-)
What was displayed on the model?
I. HIGHER CASTLE
1. The duke's gothic palace - partly survived
2. The western tower (we are just here)
3. The northern gate (ground ruins now)
II. LOWER CASTLE
A. The Territory of the Vilnius Episcopate
1. The Cathedral after 1632 reconstruction (destroyed and rebuilt in Classical style)
2. The belfry (it survived and is one of Vilnius landmarks now)
3. The palace of the supreme tribunal of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (it didn't survive)
4. The house of the capitulum (it disn't survive)
B. The Ruler's Territory
1. The residential palace of the grand dukes of Lithuania (under reconstruction now - May 2004, closed to the public)
2. The palace of Mikolajus Radvila (it didn't survive)
3. St. Barbara's church (it didn't survive)
C. The Arsenal Territory
1. The Arsenal (now: New and Old Arsenal)
The castle was conquered and mostly destroyed by Moscow's Russians (tsar) in 1655 and was never more rebuilt in its original shape. During the uprise against tsar power in 1831 the castle hill was fortificated again from the order of the tsar. Only one tower survived - the western tower (called Gediminas now) but its higher floors were torn down and replaced by wooden top where the optical telegraph was put. Then there was a cafe there. In 1930 the wooden top was torn down and then the first floor was added. The tower was damaged again during WWII and renovated in 1956-1960 when the museum was opened there.
Address: Arsenalo gatve 5, Vilnius
Directions: On the top of the Gediminas Hill. It was difficult to get there by funicular: read my Warnings Or Dangers tip "No direction signs to funicular!!!" here.
More Things to Do in Vilnius (127)
More Reviews (261)
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All More info?
- See All Four must see activities!
- See All On the top but not my recommendation
- See All Wait, wait and again wait
- See All Poor choice, high prices
- See All Lithuanian wooden statues-chapels
- See All Trolleybuses - save them, please!
- See All Nude bathing?
- See All Polish visitors and no vacancy!
- See All General information
- Concerts, discos, live music...
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels