"Castle in 14th century" Top 5 Page for this destination Gediminas castle Tip by matcrazy1
Gediminas castle, Vilnius: 65 reviews and 122 photos
There were two, large, three-dimensional reconstruction models of the castle on the 2nd floor of the Gediminas Tower. They were of great educational value and the information was put in two languages: Lithuanian and English :-). First one was a model of the higher, lower and crooked (on seperate mountain) castles of Vilnius in 14th century.
As I noticed only a few small parts of 14th castle (and exclusively of the higher castle) survived till now and they look different now. And the two rivers Neris and Wilia had tributaries which flew outside the external walls of the castle.
It was surrounded by walls (only small parts survived) with 4 gates of which only the Gediminas Tower called western defensive tower survived but it was higher and topped by conus-shape tiled roof in 14th century. Well, some parts (rebuilt later) of The Palace of Grand Dukes survived till now.
Wow! It was a castle! It was surrounded by walls with numerous gates, rivers with bridges outside and contained inside:
1. The gothic cathedral,
2. The palace of grand dukes,
3. The Bishops palace,
4. St. Anne's church,
5. The territory of the old Arsenal
Well, generally nothing survived till now except some small parts (archeological findings) from that time.
Address: Arsenalo gatve 5, Vilnius
Directions: On the top of the Gediminas Hill. It was difficult to get there by funicular: read my Warnings Or Dangers tip "No direction signs to funicular!!!" here.
More Things to Do in Vilnius (127)
More Reviews (261)
- Weather, walking shoes, a tripod...
- See All More info?
- See All Four must see activities!
- See All On the top but not my recommendation
- See All Wait, wait and again wait
- See All Poor choice, high prices
- See All Lithuanian wooden statues-chapels
- See All Trolleybuses - save them, please!
- See All Nude bathing?
- See All Polish visitors and no vacancy!
- See All General information
- Concerts, discos, live music...
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Vilnius?Share Your Travels