"Personal tour guide - get out of San Juan!" Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path Tip by marcw83

Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path: 122 reviews and 203 photos

I recently was in San Juan at the front and back end of a cruise with RCL. San Juan did not exactly come recommended as a "destination port" -- so we were not quite sure what to do with the extra day we had on either end.

I found a listing of a guy who does Jeep Tours on the island -- and this turned out to be the PERFECT thing. We didn't have a lot of time, so we couldn't justify a car. And, friends had told us about the driving in PR anyway.

Jerry picked us up at our hotel -- and took us out for a wonderful day of exploration, sightseeing, hiking -- and even a picnic lunch in the rainforest, El Yunque. He has an open-top jeep wrangler, which was a bit windy for my girlfriend -- but was great for me! We were able to enjoy the open air and get out of the big city.

Jerry is knowledgeable of the island, and has a very outgoing and magnetic personality. We got along well with him - I think he could get along with just about anyone.

So, if you find yourself in San Juan with some extra time, look Jerry up at Coqui PIE. His website is www.coquipie.com

And, have a chicken pincho -- they are great!

Phone: 787-528-6043

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Puerto Rico?