"The Dancing Building - Fred and Ginger" Dancing House Tip by littlesam1

Dancing House, Prague: 60 reviews and 85 photos

Fred and Ginger
by littlesam1

One of the more controversial buildings in Prague is the "Dancing Building" also known as "Fred and Ginger". Designed by the California archetict Frank O. Gehry. It seems out of place at first. Prague is one of the few cities in eastern Europe to have escaped World War II with minimal damage. So this modern building almost stands alone amid the many historical buildings in Prague.

There is a lot of fascinating information about this building on the internet. So it pays to research it and read about it. It is designed in the tradition of deconstructive acrhitecture. The building is situated on a site where American bombs accidently destoryed a building at the end of World War II. When first looking at the building the left side seems to have been crushed thus recreating a allusion to the effects of the violence from the bombs. And yet at the same time it appears to be whimsical and dancing. I found it fascinating and yet somewhat out of place. But like Our Lady Before Tyn, this building also kept haunting me and I felt myself drawn to it on several occasions. Upon returning home I found that I had taken way too many pictures of this building. But then again that was the effect it had upon me.

Address: Tancici dum, Rasinovo nabrezi, Praha 2
Directions: Walk from National Theatre along river to south.

• Updated May 28, 2004

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Have you been to Prague?