"The Western Explorer" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Favorite Tip by iandsmith

State of Tasmania General: 61 reviews and 180 photos

View from Longback
by iandsmith

Favorite thing: This is one of the most extraordinary roads I've ever been on. Years later it still springs readily to memory..
It's a link road (and was actually known as that during construction) between the Corinna/Savage River area and northern Tasmania.
Though the recently constructed section is only 53 kilometres long, the whole road north is well over twice that.
It's the most westerly road on the western side of Tasmania.

Fondest memory: I vividly remember during the hours we ventured along this road where the word "wilderness" is personified that we saw only two other vehicles and one or two house lights as evening started to fall.
I have haunting memories of the aptly-named Savage River crashing beside the road and, later, of one of the most magnificent stand of gum trees you'll ever see for about 3 kilometres or so.
At another point there is a viewing platform at a place called Longback where the vastness of the area you are travelling in becomes apparent as you ascend the boardwalk.
When I get my motorhome, it's one of the destinations I will be seeking.

• Written May 27, 2004

iandsmith Visits Here Frequently!

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to State of Tasmania?