"Bargain, don't accept a first price" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Tourist Trap Tip by SirRichard
Africa Tourist Traps: 35 reviews and 62 photos
In most occasions when you buy something at a local shop or in the street, you are supposed to bargain. The vendor will always tell you a higher price as a first, so you will have to start this interesting bargaining game. African traders are hard to convince, so here are some rules:
- Don't ask the price unless you're prepared to bargain.
- Don't point at something to show it to your friend...
- Relax... they are going to try very hard to get your attention.
- It's more polite to say "la prochaine fois" (next time) than "no."
- When bargaining, their first price is NEVER their last! Neither should yours be. Start much lower than what you want to pay, then get more reasonable.
- Try to ask someone who is experienced in shopping for moroccan souvenirs for what a good price is. (Don't ask someone who is selling them!)
- Walking away is a good technique to get a lower price.
- Don't be in a hurry... you'll end up paying more.
- "All that glitters is not gold,"... and all that is black is not ebony.
- BUY LOTS OF STUFF!! (it will probably be cheaper than at home) Remember your trip forever!
More Reviews (48)
- See All The Carnivore (Nairobi)
- See All The Spice Inn
- See All Victoria & Albert Wall (Cape Town, South...
- See All Water in orange juices
- See All Ait Ben Haddou (Morocco)
- Ask in the Forums
SirRichard's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels
Top Africa hotels
- Sharm El Sheikh Hotels
- 1344 Reviews - 2449 Photos
- Cape Town Hotels
- 2671 Reviews - 6198 Photos
- Hurghada Hotels
- 672 Reviews - 1678 Photos
- Marrakesh Hotels
- 2170 Reviews - 5944 Photos
- Durban Hotels
- 424 Reviews - 851 Photos
- Mauritius Hotels
- 127 Reviews - 275 Photos
- Hammamet Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 440 Photos
- Mombasa Hotels
- 308 Reviews - 801 Photos
- Johannesburg Hotels
- 1079 Reviews - 2208 Photos
- Port Elizabeth Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Agadir Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 743 Photos
- Accra Hotels
- 289 Reviews - 760 Photos
- Addis Ababa Hotels
- 386 Reviews - 2918 Photos
- Pretoria Hotels
- 396 Reviews - 701 Photos
- Casablanca Hotels
- 519 Reviews - 1334 Photos