"West Macdonnel Ranges" Australia Things to Do Tip by bluesmama

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Ormoiston Gorge in West Macdonnel Ranges
by bluesmama

On our tour around Kings Canyon I was talking to our guide and he mentioned that he was thinking about doing tours of the West Macdonnel Ranges outside Alice Springs. After this tour he'd head out there for a couple of days to check it out.
So I asked if he wanted some company and backpackers view of it all and that's how Louise and I and Tina who we'd a few days earlier in Coober Pedy came to see the West Macdonnels.
We stopped at Simpsons Gap, Standley Chasm, ochre pits, Ormiston Gorge and Glen Helen Gorge. We stayed overnight at Glen Helen homestead and had the best time. From the homestead it's only a few mintutes down to the Glen Helen gorge and there was also brilliant views of Mount Sonder.
At night we all took a walk down the road, it was so dark we couldn't see a thing. Lying down on the road in the middle of nowhere I saw more stars in the sky than ever before (or after for that matter).
We didn't meet very many people in either of the places we went to - I don't know if more people have found out about it by now...

For more photos go to the Alice Springs page

• Updated May 26, 2004

“If it's got a spitz I gotta climb it!”

Have you been to Australia?