"Of Ghosts and Garages in ol' Rex Hotel" Top 5 Page for this destination Mekong Tip by bpacker

Mekong, Ho Chi Minh City: 32 reviews and 57 photos

The grand dame of HCMC
by bpacker

I've heard of this grand dame even before I went to HCMC, thanks to my hubby's spooked suppliers.

These poor sods were the early investors in VN and the only decent (but expensive) hotel at that time was this 4-star joint.

I guess sacrificing all their children's college funds for the dinghy corridors and the musty carpets must have driven crazy. They reportedly saw strange things at night after checking in.

I won't elaborate what they were but will go on to say that Rex Hotel has a long history. Do you know it was originally a French garage? It later became a hotel and then the BOQ for American soldiers during the Vietnam War . Its conference room was the scene of the daily press briefings to journalists and by 1976, the announcement by the former North Vietnam of the unification with South Vietnam was announced in the same room.

Well, I didn't see anything extraordinary when I was there. How can ghosts remain when there is a crazy onslaught of merry makers at the roof top?

For more wierd stories and pictures, visit b'packer's hcmc page

• Updated Sep 23, 2004

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?