"well worth the money" Canberra YHA Tip by kooka3

Canberra YHA, Canberra: 205 reviews and 7 photos

We stayed at the youth hostel and it was great. The place was large and well kept up, the people were nice, the rooms only held about 4 people, so they were a little more private than some hostels I've been in (in fact, my friend and I had the room to ourselves), and it was cheap.

The only negatives (and they weren't even that bad) were: 1) it was a bit out of town - about a 30 minute walk; and 2) they lock up the tv room around 11pm -- which means that the last hope for something to do that far out at 11pm is taken away. Not the worst thing in the world, certainly, but just be warned! Time to bring out the cards/books/conversation skills. ;)

Unique Qualities: In addition to a beautiful balcony, it has the standard youth hostel stuff: kitchen, laundry facilities, common room, lots of travel info. I was impressed at the size and comfort of the common areas. Many hostels I've been in have small and/or uncomfortable common rooms, but this wasn't the case here.

There is a bus route within a couple blocks although buses aren't that frequent - hourly, if I remember correctly.

Address: 191 Dryandra Street, O'Connor, Canberra, Australia
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: You can get good directions from the website, I'm sure.
Phone: (02) 6248 9155
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.yha.com.au

• Written May 23, 2004

“Above all nations comes humanity.”

Have you been to Canberra?