"I made the trip by car, which..." Ottawa Favorite Tip by Kentbein

Ottawa General: 186 reviews and 278 photos

Favorite thing: I made the trip by car, which is a great method for traveling both the US and Canada. These two countries cover a LOT of territory, and the best way to veer off discovering as many treasures as possible is from the hard asphalt of the open road. You also have the opportunity to tune in to Canadian politics on the radio, which turns out to be a very lively topic. For instance, part of the debate I listened to concerned a Member of Parliament?s derrogatory comment about the Canadian flag being a ?red rag?. This of course was not taken well by the majority of Canadians.

The separatist movement seems to have been around for awhile in Canada but has taken hold in the last ten or twenty years. I?ll have to ask my friend lauriejeanne about the details, I suppose. It seems to be a controversy among the French vs. English, and east vs. west and midlands. I personally think the Maple Leaf is one of the most beautiful flag designs of any nation. Beauty is beauty, regardless of politics. I also love Canada, so I want to see it remain one great nation. Anyone can divide. There?s no honor in that. Staying together takes guts, determination and commitment to the greater good. From what I could tell in my talking to Canadians, they will remain one Canada. My hope is with them.

So. Drive when touring (traveling for Oja and other?s who don?t like the ?tour? word) Canada. And listen to their radio. There are also French stations, so you can test your language skills during the commercials!!

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

Comments

Kentbein

“laissez les bons temps rouler”

Have you been to Ottawa?