"Here's a fun Ottawa survey I..." General city Information Tip by Kentbein
General city Information, Ottawa: 16 reviews and 9 photos
Favorite thing: Here's a fun Ottawa survey I found somewhere, that gives some of the locals' views of where to go and what to do in the area:
The people's view of Ottawa's top attractions
By Michael Prentice
Which Ottawa sights do you show off to your visitors? And which of Ottawa's attractions do visitors usually like best? Michael Prentice asks local residents. Here are their responses:
CHERYL McBAIN, manager of the Central Canada Exhibition.
* Her choice: 'A drive along the Rideau Canal and a sightseeing tour that includes Parliament Hill, the National Gallery and the homes of Rockcliffe. For eating out, I like to go with visitors to brunch at the Chateau Laurier or dinner at Daly's in the Westin Hotel or the Cafe at the NAC.'
Favourites with visitors: 'The cleanliness and the greenspace.'
FANNY BANGI, student at University of Ottawa.
* Her choice: 'I like to take visitors on a tour boat on the Ottawa River.'
Favourites with visitors: 'Visitors from overseas love to see the snow, and they find the people warm and kind.'
BRUCE FIRESTONE, who brought back the Ottawa Senators after the capital had been without top-level hockey for almost 60 years.
* His choice: 'My No. 1 pick is a visit to the Corel Centre, usually for a Senators game.'
Favourites with visitors: While adults opt for a NHL game, the favourite with children is the snow-and-ice playground in Jacques Cartier Park during Winterlude. In summertime, it's a visit to a nearby lake.
MERLE NICHOLDS, mayor of Kanata.
* Her choice: 'We have an affinity with water. We love to drive visitors along the Ottawa River Parkway and the Rideau Canal, and then go for a walk by the canal, winter or summer. Then we go for a coffee or a BeaverTail.'
Favourites with visitors: 'They are absolutely amazed at the greenspace and how beautiful the capital is. The view of the Museum of Civilization across the Ottawa River blows them away.'
MICHEL GAUTHIER, executive director of the Canadian Tulip Festival.
* His choice: 'A tour of Parliament Hill and a browse in the Byward Market. I like the atmosphere in the Market. We usually sit and eat or drink something, outside or inside, depending on the weather.'
Favourites with visitors: 'They like the Hill because they can tell people back home that they were there. They like the Market because it gives them a different picture of Ottawa, and they find real people there.'
VIKI PRYSTAWSKI, whose husband, Walter, is leader of the National Arts Centre Orchestra.
* Her choice: 'I like to take visitors to see the latest exhibit and the permanent collection at the National Gallery of Canada. For small children, the Canadian Museum of Civilization children's museum is absolutely delightful. In the evening, we like to go with our adult guests to a show at the NAC or the Great Canadian Theatre Company.'
Favourites with visitors: 'The beauty of the city, the trees, the water, the fact that in 20 minutes you can be in the country.'
WOLFGANG SPADINGER, minister-counsellor, Austrian embassy.
* His choice: Parliament Hill, the Rideau Canal, the National Gallery of Canada, the Canadian Museum of Civilization, Gatineau Park.
Favourites with visitors: 'The combination of city and nature. There is so much greenspace. Ottawa is much less crowded than other cities. There is such a large variety of possibilities for walking and enjoying the outdoors.'
LEN TROMBLEY, retired police officer.
* His choice: Parliament Hill, Gatineau Park, the imposing residences on Sussex Drive.
Favorites with visitors: 'Coming to Ottawa for Canada Day and being part of all the activities.'
Kentbein's Related Pages
Have you been to Ottawa?Share Your Travels