will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you?d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

"Air travel MALÉV Hungarian..." Hungary Transportation Tip by gcsaba

Hungary Transportation: 93 reviews and 80 photos

Air travel

MALÉV Hungarian Airlines , the national airline, has flights between Budapest and 38 cities in 28 countries, and 27 foreign airlines operate scheduled flights to Budapest.

Hungary's international airport is Ferihegy Airport, with two terminals. A new terminal is scheduled to be opened in the autumn of 1998, and, at the same time, Terminal 1 will no longer be used for scheduled flights.

Central telephone number of Ferihegy Airport:
(36) (1) 2969696 (any service or facility at both terminals)
Same-day flight information (departures and arrivals at Ferihegy Terminals 1, 2)
(36) (1) 2967155, (36) (1) 2967000 Fax: (36) (1) 2966000

Rail travel

Hungarian State Railways (MÁV Rt.) operates several international rail lines.

There are direct rail links between Budapest and 15 capitals, with 48 international scheduled trains arriving at Budapest, all with dining and sleeping cars.

Information on international trains:
(36) (1) 4615500 (around the clock)

Coach travel

VOLÁNBUSZ Rt. currently operates scheduled services to 17 countries:
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, Ukraine, Yugoslavia.

Ther following countries are serviced by other coach companies:
Greece, Sweeden

Information and ticket sales in Hungary:
Erzsébet tér Coach Station:
(36) (1) 3172562
Monday-Friday 06.00-19.00, Saturday 06.30-19.00
Népstadion Coach Station:
(36) (1) 2521896
Monday-Friday 06.00-18.00, Saturday 06.00-16.00

Road and other land travel

Documents required for entry into Hungary by car or motorcycle:
driving licence, car registration document, country sticker.

Driving licences are valid for one year after entry. After the expiry of a residence permit, all vehicles must be taken out of the country.

Third-party liability insurance is compulsory: the licence plate and the sticker are sufficient evidence of insurance for the following countries:
A, B, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, GB, GR, HR, I, IRL, IS, L, NL, P, S, SF, SK, SLO, YU.
The owners of vehicles arriving from other countries must present a Green Card, or take out insurance at the border.

In the case of a road accident, the police must be called if it has caused personal injury, if not, calling the police is advisable because of the insurance claim. (Tel: 107 throughout the country) The site of the accident may only be left with the permission of the police officer in charge. Foreign nationals may insist on being heard in their mother tongues, request an interpreter and/or a lawyer, and contact the appropriate consulate. In minor cases, foreigners enjoy priority at police stations and in courts.

Making an insurance claim: if the accident was caused by a vehicle with a Hungarian licence plate, the claim must be made to the relevant insurance company or to Hungária Biztositó Rt. If caused by a foreign vehicle, the case is handled by the International Vehicle Insurance Division of Hungária Biztositó Rt. (1113 Budapest, Hamzsabégi út 60. Tel: (36) (1) 2090730, ext. 250, 251, 253, 254 (Monday to Friday 08.00-16.00), or the Hungária branch which is the nearest to the site o the accident.

Highway code (main points)
The Hungarian traffic rules are based on the Vienna and the Geneva Convention, consequently in general the international traffic rules apply.

Some points to be highlighted:

It is forbidden to drive a vehicle with any alcohol in the blood deriving from drinking. The blood alcohol level allowed is 0.00 percent! (Not even a glass of beer is allowed!) The police withdraw the licence of persons who are found to have driven under the influence of alcohol.
Hand-held mobile phones may not be used by car drivers, and mobile phones are completely banned on vehicles with 2 or 3 wheels.
It is compulsory to use dimmed headlights even during daylight outside built-up areas. Motorcycles and mopeds must use dimmed lights in built-up areas as well. Flashing the headlights means giving up the right of way.
The use of safety belts is compulsory at all times on the front seats, and outside built-up areas for passengers in the back seats. No child under 12 may travel in the front seat, and the use of a safety seat is recommended for small children.
In built-up areas the horn can be used in case of immediate danger only.
It is compulsory for drivers and passengers on motorbikes and mopeds to wear crash helmets.
It is strictly forbidden to overtake in bends, at cross-roads, level crossings and in the immediate vicinity of pedestrian crossings.
In the countryside, special attention should be paid to horse-drawn carts, lorries and cycles, often without lights.
Level crossings are indicated 150 metres ahead. Here, the speed limit is 40 km/h outside built-up areas and 30 km/h in built-up areas. Proceed through the level crossing continuously at a speed of t least 5 km/h. You are also advised to slow down even if you are given the green light.
Cycling paths are marked with special danger signs.
Headlights may be used for a short period in built-up areas and to inspect possible obstacles on darker roads.
The speed limit sign put up before built-up areas refers to the whole of the area.
Vehicles parking in a non-parking area shall be removed (a separate sign shows this under the No Waiting and No Parking signs).
Motor boats powered by petrol or diesel engines are forbidden on Lake Balaton, only those with electric motors are allowed.
Vehicles with a damaged body may only leave the country with an official certificate.
Traffic fines: on-the-spot fines amount to HUF 2,000, for which the police officer must give a receipt. Fines for other offences may go up to HUF 30,000. All fines are payable in forints.

Speed limits for various vehicle categories (km/h) Type motorway, dual carriageway, other road , built-up area,
Passenger cars 120 100 80 50
with a trailer 80 70 70 50
Motorcycles 120 100 80 50
Coaches 80 70 70 50
Lorries 80 70 70 50

In certain resort and residential areas where there are a lot of pedestrians and children, there are zones with a 30 km/h speed limit.

Mode: TO
Type: Other

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Written Aug 24, 2002
  • Send to a Friend
  • Add to your Trip Planner
  • Report Abuse


Ranked Member
Member Rank:
4 3 9 0 7

Have you been to Hungary?

  Share Your Travels