"Seeking another piano" Castelli Favorite Tip by iandsmith

Castelli General: 6 reviews and 6 photos

On the way back down
by iandsmith

Fondest memory: I was in an exploring mood when I drove through Castelli and continued upwards. It was apparent that some road ran around the base of the Big Horn as indicated by a gap in the trees heading ever upwards. I chose to follow the path. The Renault didn't like hills much but we pushed onwards.
At one stage it appeared half the road was suffering subsidence as it became a single lane before widening again.
The sign had indicated Rigopiano. At that time I had no idea where or what that meant. Turns out it is a village over the other side. It also turns out that as you go higher in winter your chances of coming across snow multiply significantly.
Everything was going fine till I rounded a corner and suddenly came across a snow patch about 100 metres long. I chanced my arm, so to speak, and drove through it, yet again without chains until the road cleared again as it turned in another direction.
About half a kilometre further on the lack of snow clearing in this part of Italy became clearly apparent.
Not even I was going to drive through that lot, though I did try for about 20 metres.
Mine were the third set of tracks in this seldom-visited corner of the world (in winter anyway).
Feeling safe and alone I chose to relieve myself. Just as I had finished, could you believe it, another car drove up!

• Written May 16, 2004

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Castelli?