"Do you know the way to Mandalay?" Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino Las Vegas Tip by starship

Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino Las Vegas, Las Vegas: 5,817 reviews and 12 photos

Courtesy of hotel's website
by starship

My family and I stayed in this hotel only a few weeks after it was first opened. I was able to get a very good rate (as it turned out, 2 of the 3 nights free) on a room through their online site and I requested a room facing their enormous pool area. The hotel decor was, as you might guess from its name, very tropical and quite elegant. You will find small aquariums, tropical plants and cool marble and limestone in the lobby. Since our stay there, to build upon the theme of the hotel, they have added a special attraction called "Shark Reef." You should allow yourself at least 45 minutes to see this attraction featuring an extensive aquarium and exhibits which actually are quite nice.

The problem we had with the hotel was a problem with maid service...they just didn't show up or only did part of the room. I attributed this to the hotel being so new, but that didn't make it any less maddening. What was worse was that the staff manager didn't think that it was as much of a problem as I did and didn't really offer any kind of compensation until I pressed the point.

The Mandalay tends to be one of the more expensive hotels and I believe the Manager should have done more to please customers.

Unique Qualities: The pool and gardens are quite extensive and give this hotel a unique appearance; I particularly liked the waterfalls and Asian elephant statuary. All this was set against the backdrop of the soaring hotel's golden-mirrored facade. This hotel also contains a venue for top-rated, big ticket personalities and groups. As you come to expect with hotels in Law Vegas, there are a number of high-end restaurants such as the House of Blues, The Noodle Shop and the lovely Raffles Cafe.

The standard hotel rooms such as the one we had was an amazing 500 sq. ft., and the marble bath was luxurious to say the least. The decor of the room itself was nice but a little on the bland side. The least favorite aspect of the Mandalay Bay to me was its remoteness from most other hotels (except it was right next door to the Luxor), and the central, action-packed part of "the strip."

NOTE: Since our stay, rooms have been renovated and redecorated which actually seems to give them more personality.

Check online for the best rates, and try using AAA or other discounts as well.

Address: 3950 Las Vegas Blvd. South, , Las Vegas, Nevada 89
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Farthest west on "strip."
Phone: 1-877-632-5300
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://mandalaybay.com

• Updated Dec 7, 2010

Comments

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Have you been to Las Vegas?