"Sydney Harbour Bridge Lookout Tower." Harbour Bridge Tip by hollyday

Harbour Bridge, Sydney: 209 reviews and 340 photos

If I wasn't quite so afraid of heights the Bridge Climb would have been at the top of my Must-do list.

Even though I was not up to taking that challenge on, I did take the opportunity to climb to the top of the bridge tower and enjoy the spectacular views of the city and harbour.

Getting onto the pedestrian path to the bridge was a bit of a challenge without a map but we made it eventually ... following the (barely noticable at times) signposts.

.... of course the easy way is to pick up the freebie city maps at any of the Information Kiosks/ hotel receptions etc and follow the directions....

Once on the bridge itself it is only a short walk to the Lookout Tower. The walk up is a bit strenuous but if you are fit enough to get yourself onto the bridge, you will no doubt be fir enough to tackle the climb to the top.

About halfway up you come to the museum, Entry here is free but to carry on up to the lookout or to go on the Bridge Climb, this is where you have to pay. It was about A$8 per person ( or some such thing) to access the Lookout so we paid the fee and carried on going. A few more flights of stairs and we came to the gift shop area. This is where the Bridge Climbers assembled and a group were climbing into their overalls in preparation for their climb.

One more flight of stairs and we had made it to the top.

The views from here were great. There were plenty of photo opportunities up here as well as a good 'up close' view of the groups of Bridge Climbers.

If (like me) you are not up to taking on the huge challenge of the bridge climb, it is well worth taking the effort to get to the top of the Bridge Pylon Lookout.

• Written May 14, 2004

“a smile goes a long way.”

Have you been to Sydney?