La Zucca osteria con cucina: "For a really different meal, we highly recommend.." Alla Zucca Tip by mapakettle

Alla Zucca, Venice: 7 reviews and 7 photos

excellent food...wonderful company
by mapakettle

The food is EXCELLENT. I never thought I would say that about any restaurant in Venice, but La Zucca deserves the recognition.

We booked early in the afternoon for reservations that evening. They don't have very many tables, but if you call ahead, they will block a two hour slot for you. For example, our table was reserved from 7pm until 9 pm. I assume they would then slot another reservation in from 9 pm until 11 pm.

Service was very good, the waitress spoke understandable English, I spoke my horrible mispronounced Italian, but we got along fine.

Bathrooms are 'exceptionally' clean, the patrons appear to be mainly locals, or knowlegeable tourists, and the decor is pleasing to the eye. There are three tables located outside, but they are located in front of the restaurant where the walkway begins to narrow before a bridge. Fellow travellers are just a little too close for (my) comfort.

Favorite Dish: There were four of us, and we each had something different. Every dish was excellent, however a bit on the skimpy side.

Ma Kettle ordered a type of Pumpkin Flan with Rigotta, and grilled vegetables...very original, very fresh, but not too Italian. I ordered Avocado in a mustard sauce, sounds unusual, but it was yummy, and Calves Liver, with an absolutely wonderful fruity tasting fried onion mixture, and grilled Polenta. The usual bread, with a litre of red house wine.

Desserts...once again, excellent. Each one was delicious. First time we have experienced desserts that were obviously prepared in their own kitchen from scratch.

May I suggest the Fruit Torte, exceptionally fresh ingredients, and a good sized portion at that, and the Chocolate Mousse...to die for!!

We would return in a heartbeat.

Our last visit May 13/04

Address: San Giacomo dell'Orio Santa Croce 1762 - Venezia
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: take me with you, and I'll guide you.

*** Watch out for the 'extras' you order. Everything comes at a cost, and your bill tends to climb.

Phone: 041-5241570
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Italian

• Updated May 21, 2004

Comments

mapakettle

“creases merely show where your smiles begin”

Have you been to Venice?