"Essex - a top 10" Top 5 Page for this destination England Things to Do Tip by sourbugger
England Things to Do: 566 reviews and 886 photos
Essex is an unusual county, in that it splits into two very distinct havles.
South of the A127, is real "Essex Boy" country - a wheeler dealer working class connurbation, whilst to the north lie commuter towns and pretty villages in slumbering countryside.
Here is my selection of the best that the county has to offer :
1) Top Cultural spot : Flatford Mill, home to John Constable
2) Prettiest village : Finchingfield
3) Most impressive structure : Southend pier
4) Best Hotel : The Bell inn, Horndon-on-the-hill
5) Most interesting attraction : Secret Nuclear bunker at Kelvedon Hatch
6) Most impressive view : From Hadleigh castle over the Thames Estuary
7) Best place to see 'Essex girls' in white stillettos dancing around their handbags : Romford or Basildon
8) Most historic pub : The Lobster smack on canvey Island (Mentioned by Dickens)
9) Best place to get a feel of "Wheeler Dealer" Essex : Pitsea Market
10) er... that's it.
More Reviews (86)
- See All London football teams
- See All The classiest way to arrive...
- See All Monkeys in Safari parks
- See All A nation of seafarers
- See All One very strange and specialised museum
- See All Gold, silver and bling
- See All Red, Red Wine...sang UB40
- See All Birthplace of the Beatles...
- See All Corn Circles, a message from little...
- See All What's in a place name ?
- See All A Newcastle Institution
Been to England?Share your travels with the world!
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to England?Share Your Travels