"High Security" The White House Tip by Aufgahoben

The White House, Washington D.C.: 19 reviews and 24 photos

As Close as You Can Get to the White House
by Aufgahoben

Favorite thing: We were tourists deluxe on our second day of wandering the city. More tourists had come out, as well as the sun, so we blended in a little bit better. We were walking with the map between us just certain that the White House should be coming up when an armed guard popped out of no where and asked us to please continue our walk on the other side of the street. FOUND IT. We were directed by guards to continue walking, do not stop, until we reached the officer wayyyyyy over there (point to a dot in the distance). So we did. (trust me, you don't argue with these guys, they weren't kidding) When we got to the officers car and turned around we had a great view of the White House in the distance... Complete with Armed guards on the roof.. It was a very scary and heartbreaking sight from my point of view. The last time I was in D.C. was when Nixon was in office.. I distinctly remember that there were not armed guards in camoflauge on the rooftops back then.. (but then again... :-) I think at that moment I realized the grave danger this country faces .. I can't say that it was a good feeling.

Address: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Directions: Metro Station - McPherson Square
Phone: 202-208-1631
Website: http://www.whitehouse.gov

• Written May 11, 2004

Ranked Member

Have you been to Washington D.C.?