"Maihaugen - better than the Folk Museum in Oslo" Top 5 Page for this destination Lillehammer Things to Do Tip by Saagar
Lillehammer Things to Do: 72 reviews and 111 photos
For a genuine pedagogical experience of Norwegian history, it is much better to go to Lillehammer and see the Maihaugen outdoor museum and exhibits than the Norsk Folkemuseum (Norwegian Folk Museum) at Bygdo in Oslo.
The main reason is that the house collection has been much more systematic, and the exhibits, activities and guided tours even more so.
There is also the permanent historical exhibit "Slowly, the land became our own" in the indoor section, which takes a view of Norway emerging from the ice age, through early settlement, nation building and colonialism to liberation 100 years ago and into modernity. Very interesting - and gives you a skeleton background on Norway.
There are many fun things and unique things at Norsk Folkemuseum, too, especially in their city department, but if you will have to choose one, go to Lillehammer.
Address: Maihaugveien 1, 2609 Lillehammer
Directions: Up, beyond the hospital. Taxi distance from the railway station, or 20 min walk.
Phone: +47 61288900
More Things to Do in Lillehammer (20)
More Reviews (58)
- See All Sjusjøen web camera and ski info
- See All Night itinerary in Lillehammer city...
- Storgaten - the main street pedestrian...
- See All Very popular among motorists and locals
- See All Blåmann for variety and taste
- See All Designer outerwear, fishing and hunting
- See All By ship to/from Lillehammer
- See All The Mesna River in winter
- Lillehammer was always a tourist trap
- Cold in Lillehammer...
- See All Drunks past midnight in more than one...
- See All The "spark"
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Lillehammer?Share Your Travels