"Western fjords, inlets and plateaus of Soroya" Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Things to Do Tip by Saagar
Norway Things to Do: 770 reviews and 1,348 photos
The South Island (see also my general tip on "water - beaches") is a fabulous place for unsupported outdoor adventure. If you are lucky with the weather here in July-August you will get one of your life's greatest wilderness experiences.
There are shops at Sorvaer, Breivikbotrn, Hasvik and Akkarfjord where you can stock up on necessary food items to supplement your would-be foraged food from the beach, sea and freshwater lakes.
You need a tent, sleeping bag, good hiking gear, fishing rod and wind and waterproof shell gear. There are some local history books and orienteering clubs and hikers out here, but no other resources or descriptions of places away from the two roads at each end of the island.
Address: 71 N 22 E
Directions: From Hammerfest (airport, ship route) head west to the island you see in the horizon. Don't swim! Too darn cold and far out. Fly to Hasvik (Twin Otter), or local boat(S) to Hasvik or Akkarfjord. Get the two 1:50 000 maps covering the island.
More Things to Do in Norway (34)
More Reviews (127)
- See All Re what currency to bring to Norway
- See All Hiking on the cheap - base camp in Oslo
- See All In the heart of Jotunheimen
- See All Best chocolate in Norway:
- See All A guide to 445 Norwegian harbours
- See All Cheap air tickets to/from Norway
- See All Cheapest beer in Norway
- See All Drinking and alcohol in Norway
- See All Norwegian State Railways Oslo to Gjøvik
- See All Bring drinks!
- See All Tired of E6? Divert over...
- Nightlife, ship, hotel, restaurant and...
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Norway?Share Your Travels