"Norway is slightly militaristic..." Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Local Custom Tip by Saagar
Norway Local Customs: 157 reviews and 155 photos
On your winding ways through this land you may come across (well, normally not during the main tourist season and the main Norwegian 3-week common summer holidays when the armed forces also take holidays - invaders please note!) a surprising number of military exercises, military personnel and military activity in general.
- It's partly due to the cold-war leftovers - they need to keep that surplus tank, bomber or truck running smoothly and keeping the rust off and generally attempt to be seen as active so the officers don't get threatened with redundancy.
- It has mainly to do with Norway's exposed postition in NATO as an outpost, an attractive coast from the point of view of sea defence and as a major source of oil.
- Recruits to the armed forces get 90% discount if they travel in uniform on public transport (hint - get to the flee market and buy some fatigues...)
- It has much to do with the decentralized structure of the armed forces, much like that of Switzerland. Everybody has to do army/navy/airforce service - in principle.
- 130.000 young men and women have army-issue automatic guns at home as a sort of stand-by quick-reaction local defence force or guerilla.
If many would-be soldiers seem very casual the way they treat their weapons and other equipment when they come sloshing through the train corridor or street or whatever dragging their automatics by the barrel, the reason is they would rather stay home and do the dishes, since the whole system is rather fictious as there is no enemy to speak of, and there is no real payment for the service.
More Reviews (147)
- See All Hurtigruten cruise in 5 minutes - save...
- See All Re what currency to bring to Norway
- See All Hiking on the cheap - base camp in Oslo
- See All In the heart of Jotunheimen
- See All Best chocolate in Norway:
- See All A guide to 445 Norwegian harbours
- See All Cheap air tickets to/from Norway
- See All Cheapest beer in Norway
- See All Norwegian State Railways Oslo to Gjøvik
- See All Bring drinks!
- See All Tired of E6? Divert over...
- Nightlife, ship, hotel, restaurant and...
Saagar's Related Pages
Explore the World
- Hayward Hotels
- Lapu-Lapu City
- Steinau an der Straße
- San Carlos de Bariloche
- Lewis And Clark State Memorial Park
- Kawah Ijen
- Winding Stair Mountain National Recreation Area Hotels
- Nathia Gali Hotels
- Druskininkai Hotels
- Llyn Gwynant Hotels
- Kemah Hotels
- Kanton Luzern
Have you been to Norway?Share Your Travels
Top Norway hotels
- Tromsø Hotels
- 236 Reviews - 580 Photos
- Stavanger Hotels
- 302 Reviews - 996 Photos
- Oslo Hotels
- 2982 Reviews - 7247 Photos
- Bergen Hotels
- 945 Reviews - 2377 Photos
- Røros Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 159 Photos
- Trondheim Hotels
- 354 Reviews - 1035 Photos
- Stamsund Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 52 Photos
- Rjukan Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Larvik Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Florø Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Lillehammer Hotels
- 148 Reviews - 349 Photos
- Kristiansand Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 201 Photos
- Kongsberg Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 130 Photos
- Kirkenes Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Tyin Hotels
- See nearby hotels