"You shold experience a real storm..." Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Things to Do Tip by Saagar
Norway Things to Do: 771 reviews and 1,349 photos
You will not know what bad weather is until you have seen and felt and heard a late autumn or winter hurricane (more than 60 knots wind).
The best chances of experiencing something like this is statistically around Stadt between Maaloy and Aalesund towns, Hustadvika just off Molde, Folda-Vikna between Trondheim and Rorvik, and the coast of Western Finnmark county. Generally, the westerly low pressure systems coming in from the North Atlantic cause these storms or hurricanes.
Near Stadt, there is a hotel that has specialized in "hurricane tourism" in the autumn period.
No kidding, wave height in these areas can get up to 30 meters, and 10-12 isn't exceptional.
Most people in Norway's cities live far away from such
an experience, too, so don't feel as an outsider if you haven't been blown into the ditch by a gust of wind yet. Coastal locals, however, will say drily: "he blows today"...
Directions: Try the hotels at Selje near Stadt, for a bad weather experience. Don't expect a success in the storm-finding endeavour during summer, though.
othercontact: Selje Hotel, NO-6740 Selje
Phone: Selje Hotel phone +47 57858880
More Things to Do in Norway (34)
More Reviews (127)
- See All Re what currency to bring to Norway
- See All Hiking on the cheap - base camp in Oslo
- See All In the heart of Jotunheimen
- See All Best chocolate in Norway:
- See All A guide to 445 Norwegian harbours
- See All Cheap air tickets to/from Norway
- See All Cheapest beer in Norway
- See All Drinking and alcohol in Norway
- See All Norwegian State Railways Oslo to Gjøvik
- See All Bring drinks!
- See All Tired of E6? Divert over...
- Nightlife, ship, hotel, restaurant and...
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Norway?Share Your Travels