"An Icon of the city......Taxi !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Transport for London Tip by sourbugger
Transport for London, London: 56 reviews and 77 photos
Many foreign visitors see travelling in an authentic Black cab as one of the 'Must sees' in London.
In fact they can come in any colour from 'Blingy Pink' to 'Turd brown', although most stick to the traditional black. The 1960's model of the cab is the one that has the 'iconic' status, although more modern versions have gone back to the familar rounded shape after the abberration of the boxy 'metrocab'.
The first cab licences in fact go back to the time of Cromwell when in 1643, two hundred Hackney carriage licences were issued. The last horse-drawn one was issued in 1947.
There are now about 20,000 black cabs on the streets of London, and their drivers have all done the 'Knowledge' which takes up to four years to learn (also see my tip on this in General tips). You can also virtually guarantee they will greet you with the traditional and cheery : "Where to, Guv ?"
The Black cabs could never be called a cheap form of transport, but for a fairly short hop with four or five people they can work out quite reasonably. All have good wheelchair access.
Address: TfL Customer Services, 14 Pier Walk., London SE10 0ES
Directions: Nearest Bus, North Greenwich Bus Station. Near Cutter Lane. 4th Floor.
Phone: +44 343 222 1234
More Reviews (218)
- See All Will this work on oxford street ?
- See All Museum of childhood
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All WHAT A BARGAIN !!!
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All A mark of a civilised society
- See All Can we have our Skylon back please ?
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
- See All Fireman Sam Strikes again
- See All Sourbugger's guide to London's...
- See All Another tirade against the wax works...
- Why am I writing this ? I must be sad or...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels