"Recipe - Stifado" Athens Local Custom Tip by janbeeu
Athens Local Customs: 142 reviews and 141 photos
- 1 kg (2 lbs 4 oz) lean beef - cubed.
- 500 gram (1 lb 2 oz) baby shallot onions - peeled
- 2 large onions chopped
- 3 juicy tomatoes - chopped
- 2 table-spoons of tomato paste
- 1 whole nutmeg crushed
- 1 cinnamon sticks and 3 cloves
- 4 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- rosemary sprig
- 1 small lass of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 glasses of red wine
- a good splash of vinegar
- black pepper
Add the beef to a large frying pan. Then add the olive oil, chopped onions, garlic, and cook on high heat until the meat is sealed and the onions have turned soft. Next, add the chopped tomatoes, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, rosemary and a good pinch of black pepper. Keep stirring while the ingredients blend on a moderate heat. Keep heating while adding the wine, vinegar and tomato paste. Stir well.
Turn out into a casserole dish - terracotta is best. Add warm water so as to cover the meat. Cook in an oven until the meat is nearly cooked, about one hour.
While waiting, peel the baby shallot onions, wash them and shallow fry them in a little olive oil, until soft, not letting them burn. Remove the casserole from the oven and add the shallots (but not the oil) to the simmering meat. Return to the oven and leave until the meat is thoroughly cooked (soft and tender). Add water as needed so that you end up with a thick sauce.
More Reviews (192)
- See All Byzantine Churches 4
- See All About alcohol and love
- See All Buses
- See All Shopping in Athens 2
- See All Post, Currier & Newspapers
- See All Athens - Other sports
- See All Cruise to Poros, Hydra & Aegina - Full...
- See All Packing for (little) children
- See All Village Centre Maroussi
- See All Retsina
- See All Plaka - Bargain
Been to Athens?Share your travels with the world!
janbeeu's Related Pages
Have you been to Athens?Share Your Travels