"Leirungsdalen Valley, Jotunheimen Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Things to Do Tip by Saagar
Norway Things to Do: 770 reviews and 1,348 photos
Leirungsdalen is a beautiful and fairly easily accessible alpine valley which gives you a true wilderness experience. You are certain to see reindeers here. The valley has seen a "no marked trails" and "no cabins" policy, so officially there is no infrastructure at all. There are trails, cairned in some parts, on both sides of the main river. The river can be crossed when the water is low ,or, try higher up the valley. A few well-used and nicely situated camp sites can be used, but nice spots can be found elsewhere, too. You need tent, sleeping bag, warm clothes and good shoes/boots.
The surrounding mountains are 2000-meter alpine peaks, some nice traverses possible, and a few spectacular peaks that must be scrambled. The glaciers should be avoided unless you have appropriate gear.
Early spring skiing can be nice on the southern rim (Kalvaahogda). The valley is exposed to avalances in winter, and neigbouring Svartdalen is notorious for the same. Best avoided. Nice peaks to ascend are Kalvaahogda ridge, Austre Leirungstind and Tjornholstind. Remember, climatically, 1000 meters altitude is climatically equivalent to 3000 meters in the Alps.
Address: Between Gjende and Bygdin Lakes in Jotunheimen
Directions: Use map "M711 Gjende" of touring maps "Jotunheimen". Start off from the Gjendesheim cabin, the Valdresflya road or the Valdresflya Youth Hostel (car, bus). You can also walk in from Torfinnsbu and Gjendebu cabins.
More Things to Do in Norway (34)
More Reviews (127)
- See All Re what currency to bring to Norway
- See All Hiking on the cheap - base camp in Oslo
- See All In the heart of Jotunheimen
- See All Best chocolate in Norway:
- See All A guide to 445 Norwegian harbours
- See All Cheap air tickets to/from Norway
- See All Cheapest beer in Norway
- See All Drinking and alcohol in Norway
- See All Norwegian State Railways Oslo to Gjøvik
- See All Bring drinks!
- See All Tired of E6? Divert over...
- Nightlife, ship, hotel, restaurant and...
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Norway?Share Your Travels