"Routine for checking in at Tribhuvan Int'l Airport" Top 5 Page for this destination Airplane Tip by Saagar
Airplane, Nepal: 69 reviews and 80 photos
Leaving Nepal by plane is a bit complicated, but here's the routine:
1) From the taxi stop at "departures" get a luggage cart - no need for a porter unless you have more than you can handle. They seem to hijack all the luggage carts, though.
2) Should you nevertheless need porter(s), agree the price per item luggage and ensure only one person handles your luggage (or you will have to pay the others involved, too). Note that there is a short walk only to the doors, and porters are not allowed inside the airport departure hall.
3) Find your correct entrance door (airlines are sometimes listed). Show your ticket and passport to the police at the entrance door.
4) Prepare for x-raying you luggage to be checked in. Certainly not for your exposed films, in this machine! While your luggage warms up in the x-ray, your body will be frisked.
5) Put baggage back on cart, proceed to check-in. On most airlines you do not need to pay extra airport tax as you used to do in the past.
6) Check-in at the appropriate counter - may take some scouting... Ensure your baggage is correctly tagged to your destination and lifted onto the luggage band.
7) Show boarding pass at the foot of the escalator to the upper floor (only one escalator, can't go wrong), proceed to passport control in the hall above.
8) Lost your departure card? New ones are found here along the wall to the left. Now, did you bring a pen?
9) Find your correct passport line (scouting again, but less options here: nationals, foreigners, diplomatic/official), get through - hopefully - and proceed to the proper departure hall.
10) Souvenir and tax free shops, a restaurant lounge and the Star Alliance (Thai) lounge to your right, a small cafe counter with drinks a bit further ahead. Upstairs is a good restaurant with a view.
11) Security check, hand luggage into x-ray machine, you through metal detector, and they'll frisk you. Note that there may be long lines, separate for men and women.You will be directed to manual search of your hand luggage.
12) Get your boarding pass signed and stamped after having your luggage searched manually.
13) By now it's only the departure gate left, but you may find you're stuck here for a long and claustrofobic and hot time. It is not a good idea to rush through the security check to come here, because the waiting area is without drinks, proper toilets, sufficient seats, stuffy air etc.
14) A rush of people as the door opens, and a quick last body frisking at the plane before you get on board. Indian Airlines may have slightly different routines.
More Transportation in Nepal (20)
More Reviews (87)
- See All ADULTERATED DRINKS AND FOOD
- See All A Room with a View - Dhulikhel
- See All Typical "Nepal activities" on a budget
- See All Nepal is growing good coffee
- See All Short time, high up mountain treks in...
- See All Eateries in Nepal
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Nepal?Share Your Travels