"A half million swallows stopover" Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Warnings Or Dangers Tip by NiceLife
Nice Warnings and Dangers: 96 reviews and 76 photos
Like its human counterpart, the swallow likes to spend the Winter somewhere warm and sunny. The european swallow winters in sub-Saharan Africa, Arabia and India. In Autumn and Spring huge swarms of these migratory birds make their way across continents, feeding on flying insects as they travel. Clearly they have not yet experienced the delights of EasyJet.
They need resting points before the next thousand miles, and the large trees in the Nice have become a routine sleepover for swarming flocks of these swallows. At dusk the sky can become almost black with the sheer volume of birds, and every spare centimetre of branch is occupied, chattering and jiggling away. Cars parked in the locality can expect to change colour.
At the end of October this year the swallows have moved from Place Garribaldi to the large Plain trees in the Albert 1st gardens near the gare routiere. Around seven in the morning a million or so of these birds make their take off south.
othercontact: Place Garribaldi
More Warnings and Dangers in Nice (25)
More Reviews (164)
- See All New bus tariffs from May 3rd, 2013
- See All Promenades des Anglais (2005) Olivier...
- See All At last - beer at sensible prices - with...
- See All One final "thing to do" - do nothing!
- See All Why shopkeepers are suspicious of you
- See All Love to walk in the sky? :Grande...
- See All Temperature around the year in Nice
- See All Well recommended by the many Scots...
- See All Power-assisted para-flying thingumy
- See All Where to see big French and...
- See All Nice Etoile
- See All You came here to get away from this, no?
NiceLife's Related Pages
Have you been to Nice?Share Your Travels