"Jewish Berlin" Top 5 Page for this destination Multicultural Berlin Tip by matcrazy1
Multicultural Berlin, Berlin: 7 reviews and 9 photos
Before the Nazis came to power in 1933, Jewish community in Berlin had 160.000 members. I was told that today Berlin's Jewish community is the fastest growing in the world due to Russian Jewish immigration.
Walking Frankentaler Ufer along northern bank of Landwehrkanal I fouund this building on my picture. There were many cameras on and around the edifice and two police officers watching. I first thought that it was an office of someone important.
But the building accommodated Jewish community centre and a small synagogue. Both were closed to public when I was there.
There are also more known Jewish culture centers in Berlin, both open to the public and located nearby:
1. New Synagogue on Oranienstra?e, which houses the Centrum Judaicum. There are various expositions open to the public. A large, golden dome is open to the public but exclusively April 1 - September 30.
2. The Jewish Museum - the most significant example of contemporary architecture in Berlin, hmm... I only drove along the building and liked it.
Next time I am going to visit both Jewish centers.
More Local Customs in Berlin (59)
More Reviews (258)
- See All NO downtown/centre and orientation
- See All Do not be scared like me! Sue them :-)
- See All Movable artwork - pose 2 (do not rate)
- See All Rostbratwurst-Berlin version of hot dog
- See All Take more time
- See All What a roof!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels