"Jewish Berlin" Top 5 Page for this destination Multicultural Berlin Tip by matcrazy1

Multicultural Berlin, Berlin: 7 reviews and 9 photos

JEWISH SYNAGOGUE AT FRANKELUFER 10-16
by matcrazy1

Before the Nazis came to power in 1933, Jewish community in Berlin had 160.000 members. I was told that today Berlin's Jewish community is the fastest growing in the world due to Russian Jewish immigration.

Walking Frankentaler Ufer along northern bank of Landwehrkanal I fouund this building on my picture. There were many cameras on and around the edifice and two police officers watching. I first thought that it was an office of someone important.
But the building accommodated
Jewish community centre and a small synagogue. Both were closed to public when I was there.

There are also more known Jewish culture centers in Berlin, both open to the public and located nearby:
1. New Synagogue on Oranienstra?e, which houses the Centrum Judaicum. There are various expositions open to the public. A large, golden dome is open to the public but exclusively April 1 - September 30.

2. The Jewish Museum - the most significant example of contemporary architecture in Berlin, hmm... I only drove along the building and liked it.

Next time I am going to visit both Jewish centers.

Website: http://www.berlin-judentum.de/english.htm

• Updated Apr 18, 2004

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Berlin?