"I missed Checkpoint Charlie Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination History - Cold War Tip by matcrazy1

History - Cold War, Berlin: 18 reviews and 26 photos

by matcrazy1

On the western side of Ebertstraße between Branderburg Gate and Reichstag there was a special place to commemorate victims of the Berlin Wall with neglected large info table on Checkpoint Charlie Museum (Mauermuseum Haus am Checkpoint Charlie) but exclusively in German language. The museum was located 20 min. away at the place where the former border crossing point between East and West Berlin was and where Soviet and American tanks stood face to face, after the construction of the Wall in 1961.
From 1961 to 1990, Checkpoint Charlie was the only border crossing point for the Allies, foreigners, employees of the Permanent Representation and officials of the GDR (DDR).

I was driving Friedrichstraße and passed by the museum. I could see
large Soviet red star painted on the building and the reconstructed frontier house with a border sign and a soldier's post in front of the museum - put in the middle of quite busy street. There were a few visitors taking pictures there.

I wanted to stop the car but... I coudn't. I didn't have enough time. As I am very interested in the topic I am sure it would take me more time. I wanted at least to take a few pictures there but there was no place (or I didn't know) to park a car there. Anyway, it will be my first must see in Berlin next time.

Mauermuseum Haus am Checkpoint Charlie
Friedrichstraße 43-45
10969 Berlin - Kreuzberg

Daily: 9.00 am - 10.00 pm :-))) - unique in Berlin!

Bus: 129,
U-bahn: Kochstraße (U6) - walk approx 200 m north Friedrichstraße, the museum on your right when you cross Kochstraße (before Zimmerstraße).

9,50 ?.

othercontact: Fax.: +49 (30) 251 20 75
Phone: +49 (30) 25 37 250; 25 29 62 45
Website: http://www.mauer-museum.com/index.htm

• Updated Apr 17, 2004

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Berlin?