"Stonehenge" Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Things to Do Tip by margaretvn

United Kingdom Things to Do: 1,060 reviews and 1,155 photos

If you have seen some of my other tips and pages you will know that I love the magic and mystery of standing stones. So Stonehenge is a must see for me. Having said that I must admit the fence around it and the masses of tourists do put me off a bit - avoid the high season for your visit if possible. Stonehenge was built in several stages from 3000 BC. The alignment of the stones can only lead to the belief of its connection with the sun and seasons. Despite popular belief the circle was not built by the Druids - they were an iron age priestly cult that flourished around 250 BC. That was more than a thousand years after Stonehenge was built. The bluestone circle was built around 2000BC using about 80 slabs which were quarried in south Wales. The Sarsen circle was erected around 1500 BC. The Heal stone casts a shadow straight to the heart of the circle on Midsummers day.
Stonehenge is off the A303 in Wiltshire.
my photos are so old that I will have to get new ones as soon as I can.

Directions: Stonehenge is off the A303 in Wiltshire.

• Updated Oct 1, 2006

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Have you been to United Kingdom?