"Hike up Mount Luxmoore" Top 5 Page for this destination Fiordland National Park Tip by martin_nl

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand: 23 reviews and 38 photos

Great view over Lake Te Anau
by martin_nl

Two days before we were to go onto the Milford Track we decided to walk up to Mount Luxmoore on the Kepler Track. We booked a night in the Luxmoore hut with the DOC office in Te Anau and off we went. It was quite a climb up the mountain, but quite varied and with an occasional view of Lake Te Anau. Then suddenly we hit the tree line and the views got even better. After about 3 hours from the start of the track, Brod Bay, we got to the Luxmoore Hut. What a hut, absolutely stuning location and very good facilities. We ate something and then hiked up to the top of the mountain. Great view as expected even though clouds and mist were setting in. On the way down we did a bit off track, which in my opinion wasn't a very good idea . I was quite scared, because the rocks were all laying loose. It was adventurous, but I wouldn't do it again. We stayed overnight in the hut and the next day walked back to Brod Bay where we were picked up with the boat that brought us back to Te Anau. The Kepler Track is a great track and I will definitely be back someday to do the whole 4 days from start to finish.

Directions: Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre, on the lake front at Te Anau.
Phone: 64-3-2498514
Website: http://fiordlandcharters.co.nz

• Written Apr 11, 2004

Comments

martin_nl

“It's all good...”

Have you been to New Zealand?