Postal 2: "Wild West theme...in Italy" Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Restaurant Tip by mapakettle

Padova Restaurants: 83 reviews and 172 photos

Wild, wild west
by mapakettle

You walk into Postal 2, and you immediately think you're in a honky tonk back in North America. Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you've been away from 'home' for a while.

The walls are adorned with pictures of North American Indians, and seating is comprised of heavy wooden benches/tables. The walls are a combination of Italian 'flaking' plaster, and wooden shutters, weathered beams and planks, decorated with horse shoes etc.

Pizzas are served on wooden slabs, and beer is available on 'tap' or bottle.

Ma Kettle had gnocci with marinara sauce, which had a commercial 'taste' to it, but the gnocci was huge, and quite flaverful.

Pa Kettle ordered a 'hamburger', the first in eight months, with fried onions, tomato, cheese, and lettuce. The bun was unusual as it appeared North American, and was 'charred' to offer the rustic look. The burger itself was average size, fresh, and flavourful. The only disappointment was that the onions and tomato were fried together, therefore you were eating 'stewed' tomato. That, coupled with this very hot combo placed on top of lettuce, made for an unpleasant eating experience. I dislike warm lettuce, and especially don't like trying to hold your burger together without the meat shooting out from between twin pieces of bun.

The fries were great. I normally don't care for french fries, but we shared this platter just so we could report back to VT readers. I would return for fries alone. (plus beer)

Favorite Dish: Dessert was unusual. I was ready to order coffee, however the waiter suggested we try the house specialty.

The Italian spoken here is not the usual variety, including the printed menu. (?)
Therefore, we agreed without knowing what we were getting. After all, isn't this what travel is all about? An experience...

Our dessert turned out to be a bowl of gelato, a ball of vanilla with chocolate hidden within. Poured over top of the ice cream, was coffee. Delightful. I got my coffee, and dessert, all consumed using a spoon. Good idea. I have no idea if this is usual elsewhere, or the chefs personal concoction. Give it a try.
The waiter was friendly, pleasant, and helpful. The patrons were subdued, dining area dimly lit (good for just sitting), and 80's era music was playing in the background. We felt quite comfortable and at ease here.

We would return, and I will request my burger come with cold, 'crisp' tomato/lettuce served on the side. The fried onions are a plus.

Ma Kettle and I went back second time, and that evening ordered appetizers, great value, good taste. Ma had a pizza, Tomato/Onion, very tasty, and Pa had a type of Beef stew, typical of the Veneto Region, just OK though,
with grilled polenta, fries (salty), and smoked pork slices, very good. Beer/wine (always good)

We have noticed that the service, while acceptable, is not up to par. There is a feeling of indifference, and a change in this attitude could make the difference between success and failure.

Our most recent visit was April 21/04.

Address: Via A. Da Bassano, 74 Padova 35030
Comparison: about average
Directions: immediately on your right as you are beginning your ascent of the hilly curve on Via Bassano heading towards Sacro Cuore.
Phone: 049 8643619
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Other

• Updated Apr 25, 2004

Comments

mapakettle Used To Live Here!

mapakettle

“creases merely show where your smiles begin”

Have you been to Padova?