"Just another ruin" Arquata del Tronto Favorite Tip by iandsmith

Arquata del Tronto General: 9 reviews and 9 photos

"...a delightful rest spot..."
by iandsmith

Favorite thing: Arquata thus completed I checked my timepiece. The intersection where I could either head up or downhill brought my curiousity to the fore. Temptation won out and I decided on the uphill option, having no idea where it might lead and my sense of adventure predominating over my common sense prerogative of opening the glove box and reading the map.

Fondest memory: As all roads do heading up from the river gorges, it twisted and turned before it reached more sedate gradients and I passed through the village of Pretare. As with all the villages I had seen in the area there seemed to be a preponderance of older people, often walking along the side of the road, the women often in black, some with walking sticks, all seeming to have spent their lifetime in the hill towns where the vestiges of the past were ever present. It almost seemed like these were places to come and die and be hidden away rather than places to live.
Just a short distance on, the crumbling remnants of yet another fort held sway against the encroaching vegitation and a delightful rest spot had been sited next to it.

• Updated Apr 9, 2004

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Arquata del Tronto?