"Montreal Expos (Historical Tip)" Expo's Baseball - CLOSED 2004 Tip by peach93

Olympic Stadium Dome
by peach93

(I am calling this historical because the Montreal Expos have now been relocated to Wasington DC and are now called the Nationals. I am heartbroken over it, so I can't bring myself to delete this just yet! -E)

I am a baseball person. And being so I was totally thrilled that in Montreal it is not only possible to take the metro directly to Olympic Park where the Expos play without ever having to go outside, but you can just walk right up to the window and buy tickets for great seats for a mere fraction of what you would pay at any other major league baseball park. Take into consideration that I am from Boston and that you have to remortgage your home to buy tickets to Fenway and park your car and you'll understand why this, to me, is heavenly.

The Expos play indoors at Olympic Park, a 55,147 person capacity domed stadium so large that it can reportedly hold seven jumbo jets. The stadium also boasts the world's largest inclined tower (You can take a ride to the top of it before or after the game) which also serves as machinery to remove the stadium's roof when called for.

The Expos' mascot is named Youppi. We weren't sure if he was a person or an animal, but he is large, orange, and furry. We had the privledge of being there on Youppi's birthday, an event out of which much to do was made during the game. Youppi loves children and will freely pose for photos with them when asked. He also spends some time roaming the stadium during the game to greet fans and wave to the tv cameras.

The games are announced in both English and French, also great fun for us, it being the only baseball park in all of MLB where this is done.

If you want to go to a game check ahead to be sure they will be in town when you are. The Expos now play a good portion of their home games in Puerto Rico. There is no real need to get tickets in advance as there are always plenty of open seats, but tickets are available on the MLB's website if you like to plan ahead.

Address: 4141 Avenue Pierre-de-Couberlin
Directions: Take the metro to the Olympic Park stop and you're there!
Phone: 514-252-8687
Website: http://www.mlb.com

• Updated Mar 25, 2005

Have you been to Montreal?