Yoshi's Sushi: "Sushi" Latham Restaurant Tip by Aaron7

Latham Restaurants: 1 reviews and 0 photos

I first started eating here back when they first opened the store. I liked having sushi and Latham wasn't too far off the path from work to home. This is my favorite sushi restaurant! First of all, they were absolutely great there. The restaurant is run by Yoshi and his wife Yoni. When we were still getting to know what types of sushi we liked and didn't they were extremely helpful. Yoshi would always throw a couple of extra pieces in just for us to try out. The store started out as a take out place and now has blossomed into a small restaurant with a sushi bar and a few tables. Yoshi is a consumate artist. You don't just get food from him, you receive a piece of art. I have had a dragon roll from many different restaurants around the country, but his dragon roll is the only one that was so spectacular in detail. It really did resemble a dragon! Octopus suckers for the eyes and snout, twisted carrot tentacles, cucumber ears, avacado scales... you name it. It was amazing. He has a great selection of fish to choose from as well. This is the only restaurant I have ever had blowfish at, and is the only one I would trust with such a dangerous food! Yoshi and Yoni also care about their customers. This is the only restaurant that has ever sent me a Christmas Card! Yesterday I went there for dinner in the first time in about two and a half years. As soon as I walked in, they knew who I was, and were eager to know how I had been. They really did remember everything I had told them from my last visit. All that for a customer that had frequented their shop once a week or so for a few months over five years ago!

Favorite Dish: The miso soup! This restaurant features the best miso soup I have ever had. It isn't just the watered down stock with chunks of scallion. Rather they add quality ingredients to it like slices of inari(sweet fried tofu) and kombuu(kelp). I swear they must have some fish stock in it as well. Even better, they have never ever charged me for the soup. With the order of some sushi, they made sure everyone got a free miso soup and a free salad with ginger peanut dressing.

Address: 640 New Loudon Rd(Rte 9), Latham NY
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: From I-87 take exit 5. Take Watervliet Shaker Road (Rte 155) east. Turn right onto New Loudon Road (Rte 9) at the light and the restaurant is at the top of the hill as you enter Loudonville in a strip mall on the right just before the Pakistani restaurant
Phone: (518) 783-6100
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Japanese/Sushi

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Written Apr 1, 2004

“Not all who wander are lost”

Have you been to Latham?