"Louvre" Louvre Tip by AcornMan

Louvre, Paris: 796 reviews and 1,585 photos

Musee du Louvre
by AcornMan

I'm almost too embarassed to admit it, but I never even got around to visiting the inside of the Louvre during my trip to Paris because there was so much else to do. I did spend a good amount of time simply admiring the ornate exterior, but I'm sure that's small potatoes compared to what's inside. Touring the galleries of the Louvre can easily occupy an entire day, but I wanted to see as much as the city as possible without spending a lot of time indoors. I'm sure this will not be my last trip to Paris, so I'll tour the Louvre on my next trip. But even if you decide you too decide that you don't have time for a full tour of the Louvre, don't skip the chance to get a closer look at the outside and the grand courtyard. That alone is worth your time.

One thing in particular I enjoyed was the pyramid entrance and the fountains around it, opened in 1989. When I first saw pictures of the pyramid years ago, I thought it was an utter abomination that completely ruined the classic exterior of the Louvre. However, when I finally saw it in person I changed my mind completely. The wrought iron construction reminded me very much of the Eiffel Tower and actually seemed to fit the surroundings quite well. In pictures it still strikes me as an oddity, but in real life I found it to be quite aesthetically pleasing.

Address: 99 rue de Rivoli, Paris, France, 75058
Directions: Métro: Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre
Phone: +33 1 40 20 50 50
Website: http://www.louvre.fr

• Written Mar 30, 2004

Comments

AcornMan

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.”

Have you been to Paris?