"Horses have such beautiful brown eyes....." Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Warnings Or Dangers Tip by mapakettle

Padova Warnings and Dangers: 21 reviews and 17 photos

Mr. Ed
by mapakettle

Maria and I decided early Saturday night, that we wanted pasta for Sunday dinner. We had just exited the theatre (see my other tips) after viewing 'The Last Samurai', and the markets were due to close any minute.

It was pouring rain, visibility was down to three feet at most, and we desparately searched for a butcher shop for some fresh stewing beef for the spaghetti sauce.

Two blocks later, soaked to the skin, we spotted a Marcelleria (butcher shop). As we stood in line, we selected some beautiful looking stew meat, and gave our order to the man wearing the apron.

He began cubing our order, and asked where we were from, recognizing Maria's Calabrese accent, and upon hearing we were Canadian, clapped his hands together, proudly pointed to pictures of horses on the shop wall, and exclaimed "My best horses come from Canada". We assumed that he raised horses, or some such thing, until the penny finally dropped. Maria shrieked "That's not horse, is it", pointing to the freshly bundled stew meat. The butcher said "Of course it is". "I can't, I can't, no, no, take it away, I'll pay, I'll pay, but I can't eat horse", Maria said, rather revolted by the whole idea.

To his credit, the butcher slid Maria's money back across the counter, and very politely said, "That's ok".

We apologized over and over, and slunk out of his shop. Back into the rain.

The moral of our story is, "Be careful when purchasing meat in Italy, you could be buying a chunk of Mr. Ed.

Never assume, and always read the shop signs. Horse meat is 'Cavallo' in Italian. (also seen as Equino).

• Updated Mar 28, 2004

mapakettle Used To Live Here!

“creases merely show where your smiles begin”

Have you been to Padova?