"Piazza dell'Unita" Piazza Unità d'Italia Tip by iandsmith

Piazza Unità d'Italia, Trieste: 48 reviews and 95 photos

Fountain and the ex-Lloyd Trestino building right
by iandsmith

By the time I reached this huge piazza, I was having thoughts about what this town reminded me of. This square confirmed my thoughts. I was thinking Vienna by the sea. Palatial buildings, lots of space, baroque everywhere, good state of preservation.
I happened to first view it at night and the thing you can't help but notice is the lights. They have blue lights sunken into the footpath in a square pattern and your eye is constantly drawn to them.
During daylight hours however, the demand for your attention wavers from building to building, each vying for your undivided attention, none totally succeeding due to the opulence next door.
All this is set around a splendid water feature, the Fountain of the Four Continents. I have to say though, for me, it was just too big a square, just too far from one side to the other. Smaller piazzas with a nearness to the art and people interacting constantly seem to satisfy me more but, having said that, you must see this expanse of concrete or your visit will be incomplete.

Address: Piazza Unita d'Italia
Directions: The main square in Trieste
Phone: 0403478312
Website: http://www.tuttotrieste.net/varie/unita/unita.htm

• Written Mar 27, 2004

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Trieste?