"When the Green Man says "cross", watch out!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Warnings Or Dangers Tip by NiceLife
Nice Warnings and Dangers: 97 reviews and 77 photos
Crossing the road in France is not something to be undertaken lightly,
First, "zebra crossings" confer no right of way for pedestrians as in some countries - cars are not required to yield to you. Secondly, cars turning right have the freedom to turn into your path despite the fact you are crossing the road with the Green Man symbol lit up beckoning you that its safe to do so. That car will swing round into your path. Now you can trust a French driver to know you as a paedestrian now have right of way. However, how do you know that driver is French?
Watch out always - sadly French drivers are amongst the most competitive in the world, having the highest road accident fatality rates in all Europe. Motorcycles here are a menace too. They come only in two sizes - the very big and fast ,usually with names like MotoMacho and are mainly an excuse to swank around in full leathers as seen here Or they are little 50cc scooters buzzing like angry wasps, driven by two kids with possibly no insurance, sometimes no helmet and no road-sense. In the first eight months of 2009 there were forty two driver road fatalities in the Alpes Maritime. Twenty were car drivers, and twenty were motorcycle and scooter drivers, whilst only one was a pedal cyclist.
Don't join them!- watch out!
More Warnings and Dangers in Nice (25)
More Reviews (164)
- See All New bus tariffs from May 3rd, 2013
- See All Promenades des Anglais (2005) Olivier...
- See All At last - beer at sensible prices - with...
- See All One final "thing to do" - do nothing!
- See All Why shopkeepers are suspicious of you
- See All Love to walk in the sky? :Grande...
- See All Temperature around the year in Nice
- See All Well recommended by the many Scots...
- See All Power-assisted para-flying thingumy
- See All Where to see big French and...
- See All Nice Etoile
- See All You came here to get away from this, no?
NiceLife's Related Pages
Have you been to Nice?Share Your Travels