"Great Wall" Great Wall of China - Jinshanling Tip by oceania26

Of course if you'll be in Beijing you'd want to see the Great Wall. There are 3 sections of the wall that are open to the public. The most popular and touristy being Badaling/

I went to the furthest one and least touristy, Jinshanling. It's about 2 hours from Beijing. You need to be in good physical condition to climb the wall. It's very steep and narrow. It's also preferable to go in the summer months as it's very cold in winter and when you're climbing up you'll definitely work up a sweat. Not nice to be wet and sweaty in cold weather. Also the snow/ice makes it every slippery and it's already steep and dangerous. There are cable cars but weren't functionally when I was there. There were also in the middle of doing some construction work, in particular for the Olympics.

I believe there are 10-12 towers open to the public but warning after the 8th one the wall starts crumbling. I read somewhere people are their hands and knees and in tears when coming back down. Coming back down is pretty hard on your knees...I was sore for about a week.

When you start your climb there be a group of people waiting there. One of them will follow you and "help" you teh whole way up. I had a old man follow me and he would help me up and hold my hand. I was suspicous of what he wanted in the end...he want me to buy this big huge book of the wall...he followed up the wall for several hours just for that!!!

Since there's not that many tourist up that way, store keepers, restaurants and touts are very competitive and agressive but it's still better than Badaling

• Written Mar 15, 2004

Comments

oceania26

“Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi”

Have you been to Beijing?