"Surprise !" Paris Favorite Tip by Norali

Paris General: 1,809 reviews and 2,160 photos

Favorite thing: It all started end of June 1984. Once, my Dad told me that I was going to spend my holidays in Paris... and that we were going to leave in "one week". Or was it "one month"?... Anyways, it was not planned as well ahead as it should be for future travels.

I was excited, happy. And yes, I remembered that I had heard my parents talking about a new passport. Yet, I never suspected it was for me. Since my Mum used to keep all our documents (photos, certificates of all kinds), they could plan it without asking me to provide them with papers, id-photos... That was a surprise !

Fondest memory: As far as I remember, I have never dreamt of Paris... not as much as many adults who plan their trips, read guides to know what to see, what to eat, to buy... would do.

I think I haven't had time to dream of Paris. My parents used to say that one day, they were going to show us Paris. Still, I never knew when... until they told me that we were leaving "soon". Really really soon :)

Would it have been a better trip if there was some room for dreaming? Think not. There was room for surprise, instead. And I DO like surprises.

• Updated Aug 24, 2007