"Cars, cars, cars...." Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Local Custom Tip by Norali

Belgium Local Customs: 246 reviews and 239 photos

Brussels metro is reliable, (de Brouckère station)
by Norali

Belgian people love cars... A survey on the Belgian car market showed an average of 2-3 cars per household in Belgium. That was years ago and something that stroke me when arriving here in the 90s.

In a household, the parents usually have one car (if not one per person). Then, kids from 18 are also given a car. Sometimes, they buy it on their own too. Anyways, seems automatic for many of my friends to have a car.

What stroke me most is that people tend to use cars despite the relatively reliable public transportation (Brussels and other "big" cities are well-deserted, for instance - Plus, train system is quite OK too); despite the "smallness" of the country; hence the dense railway net. Despite all of that, they drive...

They drive to go to work, even if the workplace is in a neighbouring commune, even if they know that it would take much time to get into Brussels center in the morning and look for parking than using the cheap and reliable metro. Then, they like complaining about traffic jam.. hihi

I'm just imagining if Parisians, NYers would use their car as frequent as Belgians do. that would be a greater mess in Paris, a bigger traffic jam in NY.

Oooh! what more the survey revealed was interesting. Seems that Belgian people use cars as shelter.. as some bubble that keep them away from the crowd.. some distance, in fact. How fun is that !

Well, I would understand if, like in Madagascar, public transportation is not that reliable, esp. for people leaving outside center (my case). I would also understand if distances are huge (if the country is big, as the USA, Madagascar or France).. but Belgium and its cities are not spread out.. rather compacted ones.

As for me, since my workplaces have been in Brussels area, I use to use STIB public transportation... Leaves more time for sleeping and activities other than commuting, driving and looking for parking places. :)

• Updated Mar 13, 2004

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Belgium?