"Agia Roumeli" Samaria Gorge Tip by Jmill42

Samaria Gorge, Crete Island: 30 reviews and 49 photos

Along the Southern Coast of Crete
by Jmill42

Agia Roumeli has the distinction of being the last stop of the Samaria Gorge hike. There are no buses to or from Agia Roumeli, only ferry connections to towns that do have bus service. That means that most visitors here are just waiting for a ferry out of the town. Unfortunately, that is exactly what I did. I had about a 2-hour wait for my ferry, so I decided to take it easy and eat at a restaurant along the water. The people were so accommodating, knowing that I had just finished the hike, telling me to take off my hiking boots and relax. At first I was not hungry, and they replied that I did not have to eat to sit in their chair, at which point I got a beer. Soon, I was hungry, of course. The food was good, but it was the service and friendliness of the people that I remember. Afterwards, I went to the small beach and lay on the sand; setting my alarm to wake me up from the guaranteed nap I was about to take. All in all, I would say to gather whatever strength you have left after the hike and explore this great little town.

Address: Chania Prefecture
Phone: +30 282 104 5570
Website: http://www.samaria.gr/language/en/

• Written Mar 11, 2004

“Live With Passion!”

Have you been to Crete Island?