Io E Tu Ristorante: "Excellent South Philly Italian Dining" Philadelphia Restaurant Tip by asturnut

Philadelphia Restaurants: 461 reviews and 487 photos

Io E Tu marquis
by asturnut

I drive past Io E Tu every Wednesday night on the day to class, so it was inevitable that I should end up eating there. From the outside it looks like a good place to eat, and my hunch was verified by my dance teacher who lives in the area. " A little pricey, eeeexcellent food and good service", she said. "Great," I said, and plans were made to celebrate my husband's birthday there.
I wasn't immediately impressed by the ambiance of the place, but my palate was not disappointed. On the table sat freshly baked authentic Italian-style bread and wonderful tangy carrots marinated in a balsamic vinagarette. While we nibbled, my husband and I mulled over the menu. We weren't immediately impressed. Then the server informed us of the specials of the day and we were set to salivating. The specials of the day are definitley the way to go. My husband began his meal with a portabella mushroom stuffed with lump crab meat in a rose' sauce. I had the most delicious salad I've ever had in my life. A spring mix of greens with walnuts, cheese, dried fruit and other goodies in a balsamic vinagarette. The salad would have easily been enough for a meal. Then the maitre di informed us he would like us to taste a new appetizer they were testing on the house. It was scrumptious! Our meals arrived and once again, we were not disappointed. My dish was a delicately prepared- fresh pasta rolled with prosciutto, spinach and ricotta in rose' sauce. It was a real delight.
When we had arrived at the restaurant I only casually mentioned that it was my husband's birthday. When we asked for the check because we had to be somewhere, we were suprised when our server and maitre di rushed back with a suprise for my husband. It was a delicious, unique incantation of cheese cake dusted in cinnamon and cocoa, and drizzed with raspberry sauce, served with a sparkler blazing atop. It was a really nice gesture, and the food was spectacular. I definitely recommend Io E Tu.

Address: 1520 S 9th St
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: From 76 take 7th St exit. Make a left onto 7th St. Make left onto Oregon Ave. Make right onto 9th St. Travel about 5 minutes to Io E Tu which is on the left. 9th St is a one way Street.
Phone: 215-271-3906
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Italian

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated Mar 7, 2004

Comments

asturnut Was Born Here!

asturnut

“Live like a tourist no matter where you are.”

Have you been to Philadelphia?