The King's Arms: "A Different Sort of Pub" Top 5 Page for this destination Essex Restaurant Tip by Bwana_Brown

Essex Restaurants: 4 reviews and 4 photos

One of the Pub's Rooms
by Bwana_Brown

Of all the pubs that we visited on our trip (and there were a few), The King's Arms was the most disappointing. Located in central Saffron Walden, it had a small car park, so I decided to make sure that I picked one of the remaining spots with fairly easy access and I also reversed in so I could drive out. After we had sat down in one of the three or four different rooms of the pub, I went back out to the car to fetch a map for further ponderings. While there, I noticed a young man in a quandry as to how to extricate his car from the corner parking spot that he had picked. It took about 10 minutes of my guiding him with hand gestures and words before he was able to reverse out around the two cars that had him hemmed in from different angles. However, I was glad to help and that was no big deal - it was the food that was disappointing.

Favorite Dish: It was a Saturday lunchtime with intermittant showers, and our little room soon filled to overflowing as groups trekked in. The amount of smoking in pubs took a bit of getting used to again after the no-smoking laws in Canada but, again, I have lived through that before. This was my first chance for a Ploughman's lunch so I was more than ready to chow it down with my pint of Greene King IPA bitter. However, all it consisted of was a bunch of salad, a slab or two of cheese and a bun - no trace of pickled onion or chutney!! My wife had a tuna sandwich and a glass of wine but, I was really disappointed with our 12 pound (USA$22) meal! At least it was fun to be in the midst of a buzzing crowd of all sorts of types!

Comparison: about average
Directions: In Saffron Walden, not far from the Castle ruins on top of the hill.
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 2
Theme: Pub/Brewery

• Updated Mar 6, 2004

Comments

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Have you been to Essex?